It is a photo of an meanwhile dead hawthorne tree full of red berries. Of course, the original file wasn't that colourful and I wanted to give a real warm autumn feel to it. So I made my first corrections in Lightroom enhancing the red of the berries and using the colouring tool to give it a yellow tint:
I also felt that the foggy parts on the pic's left side lacked interest, so I searched my archives for a suitable texture but couldn't find one that I was completely satisfied with.
I chose a texture I started to make some time ago and made some adjustments & alterations to get the one I finally used. I originally started with the folllowing picture:
Of course, I wanted the texture to be much finer so I decided to make a copy of the background layer and rotated it by 180° and got this:
|Two layers, 2nd rotated 180°|
Now I had a much finer pattern. I decided to add two layers of brush strokes to make the picture lighter and add some more structure to it.
I copied this layer and set the first layer at 80% opacity / 100% fill - soft light, the second layer settings were 20% opacity / 100 % fill - hard light resulting in this:
|First version of texture|
I found the greenish leaves & branches in the upper right and the down left corners disturbing so I used Photoshop's patch tool to soften them. I also adjusted the colours and enhanced the red and yellow tones. I also added a dark red border and was finally satisfied with my new texture:
|Autumn Leaves Texture|
This texture will be part of a new texture pack I am working on, but you can download a higher resolution version here:
Download Autumn leaves texture
I'd love to see what you used it for. If you are a flickr member you can submit your work to my group
dyrkwyst texture central
Thanks for reading!